A Budding Emergencist
Tuesday, August 08, 2006
  Digging In
Well, I've got six shifts coming up in the next seven days. The ER is great, I'm happy to be there, it's just that I get pretty tired after a 12-hr shift. Seems I have to sleep 12 hours just to make up for it.

Yesterday, CHIEF RESIDENT told me that about hours regulations in the ER. You may have heard about 405 regulations, where residents can't work more than 80 hours in a week, averaged over 2 weeks. Well, ER programs have taken it upon themselves to restrict residents' hours to 60 per week--the rationale being that working 60 hours in a week is like working 80 hours on the floors. Damn, so true.

I wish I had one of those portable phones that the upper level residents carry. I keep missing callbacks from consultants. Doesn't look good. Looks bad, in fact. One of the attendings I was considering asking for a letter of rec mentioned that I missed a call from a consultant. Well, scratch him off the list. I even told him why I missed it--I was getting a bite to eat. I had paged the consultant 1/2 an hour ago, and finally went to eat for 10 minutes. Crap.

On the up side, however, there is a fun, good looking patient representative I'm thinking about asking out. We'll see.
 
Comments:
i'm sooooooo glad you think the ER is great! It IS great!!! In fact it's wonderful, and we really do save lives!!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
Emergency medicine, from the beginning of a new doctor's career.

Name:
Location: Big City, Metropolis, United States

Walk softly and carry a big vocabulary. Don't be inhuman. Find and greet God in every person you meet. The patient is the one with the disease. Do not get distracted. Charity begins at home. Do good and be happy. Don't just do something, stand still. Wear sunscreen. Don't get anyone pregnant, and don't go to jail, young man. Budget your luxuries first. You don't know what you don't know. People like learning, they just don't like being taught. When in doubt, go out. When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Honey attracts more flies than vinegar.

ARCHIVES
July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / December 2008 / August 2009 / November 2009 / December 2009 /


Site Meter Powered by Blogger